Come warm up the winter with a bit of fun and a healthy dose of sweetness! Slow Food Huron Valley is reviving the holiday cookie exchange. Make a few batches of your favorite cookie to swap and come see who has the tastiest, prettiest and most dunkable confections! Of course, food isn’t only about what we put in our mouths—though who can resist a cookie smothered in snowy white clouds of powdered sugar?—but also about sharing family and community traditions. SFHV wants to know the history behind those cookies, even if you’re featuring an original. After all, what is not shared becomes lost, so please join us in swapping cookies and stories and making an old custom new again.
Generously hosted by our friends at Downton Home & Garden! They've been kind enough to open up their space to us during business hours - we ask that you park in the street or in a city lot and leave their parking lot available for customers.
Rules of Cookie-Exchanging Engagement:
- We have room for 50 cookie-exchangers - please bear with us if we exceed the limit! This is the first of what will hopefully become an annual event, and we’re still learning the ropes.
- Bakers should arrive at 1pm. Tastings will begin at 2pm, followed by the cookie exchange (please remember to park in the street or a city lot).
- Please bring:
- 6 dozen cookies - one dozen on a plate for the tasting table, and the remaining 5 dozen divided onto small disposable plates that are wrapped in plastic bags/plastic wrap with 6 on each plate (making a total of 1 large plate for tasting 10 small plates to exchange)
- A name for you cookie (e.g. Aunt Millie’s Rockin’ Rugelach)
- A card with the ingredient list for your cookies
- During the exchange, we ask that you only take one plate of each kind
- At the end, the winner of the tasting categories will be announced - the winners should be prepared to email us with the recipe to share out (only bake something you’re willing to share!)